Sunday, May 11, 2008

Chinese take-out party!!

I got invited to partake in a Chinese take-out party hosted by Rita of mochachocolatarita! Her blog is totally awesome, and has great recipes. Her posts are also really fun to read! So when she invited me to make chinese food, I was really excited, but had no clue what to make. Having no experience with making chinese food, I just made a stir-fry recipe,but before that marinated chicken in some hoisen sauce, then cooked it before, and added it back in later. What is so great about making your own chinese food, is that you can make it healthy, and flavor it to your tastes! This was the first time that I had used fresh ginger. And wow is it strong stuff! But what really completed this chinese dinner was homemade fortune cookies!!!


Can you say *amazing*? I would have never thought that It were possible!!! And the crazy thing was that they were simple to make, and importantly, they actually tasted like fortune cookies!! What was really cool,was that me and my friend Liz made our own fortunes for the fortune cookies. We even looked up specific ones for each family member. It was really funny.

All in all, this dinner was a huge success! For the fortune cookie recipe, watch this on youtube. Have fun!


Stir fry chinese chicken and veggies
Food network/my brain

4 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
1/2 red onion, trimmed and cut into 4 wedges, layers separated trimmed,
1/4 pound Chinese broccoli, stems and leaves separated, each cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 pound Chinese long beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 scallions, trimmed, 5 cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces,
1 thinly sliced and reserved separately
2/3 cup good-quality chicken stock or broth, vegetable broth, or water, heated
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
As much chicken as you want
Hoisan sauce to marinate chicken.


Marinate chicken and set aside. After marinated, cook chicken in wok. Take out and reserve for later.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, and chili flakes and stir-fry just until they are aromatic, about 30 seconds. Scoop out the aromatics and set them aside.
Add the remaining oil to the wok. When it is hot, add the onion pieces and stir-fry until they turn glossy and bright, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the bok choy and the Chinese broccoli stem pieces. Stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes more.
Add the long beans and the 1-inch scallion pieces. Continue stir-frying until they are bright green and glossy, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Add the Napa cabbage and the Chinese broccoli leaves, along with about 1/3 cup of the hot stock and the reserved aromatics. Continue stir-frying until the vegetables are all tender-crisp, about 2 minutes more. Add the remaining stock, soy sauce, and cornstarch mixture and stir-fry until the vegetables all look lightly glazed with sauce, about 1 minute more.
Add chicken back into the wok, and let re-heat.
Transfer the stir-fried vegetables and chicken to a heated serving dish. Garnish with the sliced scallions and sesame seeds and serve immediately.

22 comments:

test it comm said...

That stir fry looks good. Making your own fortune cookies sounds like a lot of fun!

Peter M said...

Jessy, you impress me again! A lovely stir fry and home made fortune cookies to boot!

Emily said...

The Chinese food looks great! I love the fortune cookies. That's a great pic.

THAT WASN'T CHICKEN Ha.

Maggie M. said...

I love cooking Asian food! It's so fun. And yeah, it's definitely good to make your own because you can make it exactly how you like it :)

Unknown said...

Hi Jess! Cool stir fry, and the content of the fortune cookies cracked me up! HAHAHA

thanks for bringing so much fun to the party! :)

Mary Coleman said...

He who laughs didn't get it.
You are too funny!
Great recipe. Your brain is working overtime!

Anonymous said...

Lovely Jessica, it looks so darn good!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Jessy, your chicken and veggies looks great, but my heart is won over by the adorable little fortune cookies!

Rachel said...

I love those fortunes!

Elle said...

I love the fortune cookies! Hilarious! What a great take out meal you made.

Mama Mia said...

I wanna try making my own fortune cookies too! Thats awesome!!!

giz said...

Hey, did you chanage the look of the blog or do I live in a bubble? Your submission for Chinese take out is great. Making your own fortune cookies just shows how much fun food can really be. I'll be your family went nuts!!!

Anonymous said...

heh... I love your fortunes. The food looks great!

Deborah said...

I love fresh ginger, and probably use it more than the powdered ginger now! The Chinese food looks great, and the cookies are very impressive! How fun to create your own fortunes for each person.

RecipeGirl said...

Darn- I missed the Chinese take out party. I LOVE the fortune cookie idea. It would be a crack up to create your own "fortunes" like you did. Looks like you had fun with it :)

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

AK! Those fortunes are funny!

That's a great party idea! I love having themed dinner parties.

mimi said...

delish looking stir-fry. and LOVE the fortunes!!

Lori Lynn said...

BRAVO! Cool you made the cookies, must have been a riot coming up with the fortunes.
If it wasn't chicken, what was it? Yikes. haha

michael, claudia and sierra said...

hey there - i'm catching up on all of your amazing kitchen exploits...

one recipe is better than the next. where to i begin?

by the way - i can imagine how your mom feels with all of that baking going on... she won't fit in her pants from eating your amazing food.

Anonymous said...

Great stir fry! My fiance and I haven't tried anything more complicated then that. In college my roommate and I tried unsuccessfully replicate sesame chicken more times then we can count and I gave up after that. But lately we've become more adventorous and we have decided to try our hand at making orange chicken.

Michelle Ann said...

You continue to amaze me!

Anonymous said...

This is really brilliant! I saw the round up and you're definitely wins the prize for ingenuity!
We were invited too, but had to work that whole week and couldn't make a thing!:(
I really love this fortune cookies! We'll have to make them soon and give you all the credit for the inspiration!