Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Micky Mouse : )

Besides muffins, I gotta say that waffles are really my favorite breakfast food. And when you have a Micky Mouse waffle iron, why not make waffles for breakfast? I mean seriously, a waffle always tastes better when its in the shape of a classic cartoon character right? yes. So, its actually a funny story how frazzled I can be sometimes. I found a waffle recipe, and what was kinda annoying about it was that it had multiple steps where you add things at different times, and whip the egg whites and everything. Usually speaking this doesn't bother me that much. So I started the recipe, and well, long story short I made the first batch of waffles without the beaten egg whites, or sugar. Yeah lol. But what was ironic was that they were better than the ones that had the other ingredients... They were more crispy, and when they're covered in maple syrup, who's going to notice the lack of sugar?

Waffles
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing the iron
1 large egg white, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar

Directions
Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until a batter is formed. Take care not to over mix the batter.
In medium bowl, with a hand-held electric mixer or whisk, whip the 3 egg whites until they just begin to hold a loose peak. Scatter the sugar over the whites and continue beating until they hold a soft peak. Using a rubber spatula, fold a third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten the base. Fold in the remaining whites.
Brush the inside surface of the iron with butter. Pour in enough batter to lightly cover the surface of the iron, about 1/3 to 3/4 cup, depending upon the size of the iron. (Take into consideration that the batter will spread once the lid is closed.) Cover and cook until golden brown and slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. (If the waffle iron is well seasoned or nonstick it is not necessary to brush the inner surface each time before cooking the waffles.)

21 comments:

Culinary Wannabe said...

I love that the first batch that was missing ingredients tasted better - that's so funny! I'm also envious of the fact that you have a Mickey Mouse waffle iron, when I don't even have room in my apartment for a normal one! :)

Anonymous said...

What a cute waffle maker! And I'm glad I'm not the only one that forgets ingredients. It's a good way to come up with "new" recipes. :P

B.Sunshine said...

mickey holds a dear spot in my heart after seeing him at disney... and so do the waffles! lol

<3 keep on cookin'

Anonymous said...

We just tried a banana sour cream waffle recipe that was very tasty.

Nina Timm said...

Oh my word, where did you find the Mickey Mouse waffle pan?????? It is so adorable!!! So...you have just invented a waffle for diabetics with no sugar......good on ye!!!

pinknest said...

hilarious. whenever i find out i've accidentally skipped ingredients, my end results are never a pleasant surprise!

RecipeGirl said...

How cute are these? Where on earth do you even find a MM waffle iron??!!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Haha I have no idea where I found the Micky Mouse waffle iron, it was my moms lol.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This reminds me of the Mickey Mouse Club I used to watch as a kid.

Peter M said...

It's good to see you getting back into your baking routine.

The mould is cool...family-style servings fer sure!

Maria said...

I love it! What a fun breakfast. I used to have a Tweety maker. I am going to look for it!

Selba said...

Oh.. this is so neat! I wish I could buy a Micky Mouse waffle iron or the other characthers from Disney.

Peggy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Your waffle iron is precious. As you can see, I'm a mickey and minnie fan myself.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere in the garage I know I have a waffle iron that has been terribly neglected...but it doesn't make cute little Mickey waffles!

alexandra's kitchen said...

how cute. very interesting/strange about the sugar and egg whites. Looks like you've made a happy accident!

Sara said...

How cute are these? I love waffles!

Unknown said...

m-i-c-k-e-y...hehe you know the rest!

how cuteeee!!! let's cover the eyes, nose and ears with dark chocolate hehehe

Fitness Foodie said...

That is so awesome! My nephews would love that.

Jason said...

Yay, I love the mouse!

Unknown said...

Really really delicious and yummy I must say. My 6 years old kid will surely like it. That chocolate micky mouse is looking so cute and kids will love that as it is made from chocolate. Thanks for the fantastic dish.

r4 dsi

RIANA RIANA said...

ايجيبت كلينيك افضل مراكز التجميل التى تهتم بعملائها وتقدم خدماتها بعناية فائقه فخدماتنا تشمل شد ونحت وتخسيس الجسم وحقن البلازما لنضارة الوجه وازالة شعر الجسم بالليزر وزراعة الشعر.
للاستفسار والتواصل:
01025873723-01550057331
01550057332-01016363128
https://9551.home.blog/
https://clinic144.blogspot.com/
https://clinic111.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZHUX1YNHuz-XupOpxG1vyQ>